Ongoing Community Initiatives
Across New England, Beacon Wind is collaborating with local stakeholders to support responsible offshore wind development and a just transition to renewable energy in local communities. Activities include:
Equinor team visiting the Norwalk Aquarium
Enhancing opportunities to support a regional offshore wind workforce and supply chain
- Serving on industry advisory boards for state universities and community colleges.
- Identifying local suppliers and workforce training opportunities with local partners.
- Supporting well-paid, highly skilled, permanent job opportunities across the Northeast.
- Promoting Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the offshore wind industry as a member of Browning the Green Space and by sponsoring an equitable offshore wind certificate scholarship at University of Massachusetts Amherst.
Promoting responsible offshore wind development and public policy
- Engaging collaboratively with the non-profit sector & regional governments on renewable policy issues.
- Advancing the Beacon Wind project in compliance with local, state and federal regulations and ensuring alignment with local and regional initiatives, including the Long Island Sound Blue Plan, the Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan for Long Island Sound, the Long Island Sound Study, and the Rhode Island Special Area Management Plan.
Supporting regional research projects on key commercial fisheries and wildlife
- Collaborating with the New England Aquarium and the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center on a Highly Migratory Species study.
- Making data publicly available for academic and environmental organizations to use via MARACOOS.
Partnering with the fishing industry and local mariner communities
- Consulting with regional fishing industry stakeholders to determine the 1×1 nautical mile turbine layout in order to preserve existing fishing agreements and allow for navigation through, and activities within, the Beacon Wind and adjacent lease areas.
- Contracting Offshore Fisheries Liaison Representatives and scout boat services across the Northeast during offshore survey efforts which will continue during installation.
- Hosting joint developer port hours at various New England ports including New Bedford and Point Judith to engage directly with the fishing community and provide project updates.
- Connecticut Community Meeting– October 3, 2022 On October 3, 2022, the Beacon Wind team held a community meeting at the Mystic Aquarium in Mystic, CT to present the project to the local community. The meeting was recorded and can be viewed by clicking here. Included in the video is American Sign Language (ASL) translation.
- Southwestern Connecticut Community Meeting– May 10, 2022 On May 10, 2022 the Beacon Wind team held a virtual community to present the project. A recording of the meeting can be seen here.
New England Offices:
Stamford. 600 Washington Blvd, Suite 800, Stamford, CT 06901
Tel: +1 203-978-6900
Boston. 53 State Street, Suite 500, Boston, MA 02109